skip to main content
Human Resources
University of Mississippi

Student Employment

Student Employment is located in the Jackson Avenue Center – Central.

Frequently Asked Questions for Student Employment

How do I find a Student job?

A few departments take advantage of posting student employment opportunities on the University’s online job posting site, Please note, “www” and “https:/” is not required in the web address.  You may select the  “STUDENTS” tile or the link, “View all Student Opportunities.”

How often are job postings updated?

Jobs are updated from the listing as-needed by the departments and as positions are filled.

What is Work-Study?

Work-study is a needed-based program that is awarded through the Financial Aid office. It works by subsidizing apportion or all of your wages for an employer, and therefore creates a number of jobs that otherwise wouldn’t be available. If the work-study it will appear on your Financial Aid award letter. For more information about Work-Study, please contact the Financial Aid office at

What is minimum wage for student employment?

The minimum wage currently is $7.25 per hour. $7.40 is the recommended pay rate.

Am I eligible for a student position?

Students taking 3 or more credits for the entire academic semester are eligible during the semester for a student position.

How many hours can I work?

Effective Monday, August 25, 2014, all hourly student workers and undergraduate students working on a stipend will be limited to an absolute aggregated total of 25 hours of work per week (Monday – Sunday). If a student’s work time exceeds the 25 hour per week limit, the student’s employment may be ended immediately.

Please note: Foreign national students who are taking summer classes may only work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the academic year, including summer sessions. Foreign national students who are NOT enrolled during the summer months will be limited to an absolute aggregated total of 25 hours of work per week (Monday – Sunday).

Can I keep my job after graduation?

Student workers who graduate are allowed to continue to work as a student worker up to the start of the next semester. They may not work the first day of the next semester or any time following the first day of the next semester as a “student worker.”

International students may not be eligible to continue working after graduation as a student. Consult with International Programs regarding visa-eligibility.


What do international students need to do to work on campus?

Eligible international students with F-1 or J-1 visas can hold on-campus jobs. International students can apply for jobs like any other student. Once hired, international students should come directly to the Student Employment Office to complete employment paperwork, including the Employment Verification Eligibility, Form I-9. You are required to present a passport, social security card, visa, I-20, and DS-2019. If the international student does not already have one, he/she will need to apply for social security number after he/she is offered a job. An international Student Employment Certification form will required; please contact the Coordinator for International Programs and Services at (662) 915-7404 for assistance with applying for a social security card.

How many hours may an international student worker work?

International student workers are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week.


Do I have to fill out all of the forms?

Once you have been offered a student position, you must complete online onboarding (employment) forms in order to get paid.  The “New Employee Wizard” link will be sent to you via email.  Please set aside approximately 30 – 45 minutes to complete the onboarding process.

After completing the online onboarding (employment) forms.  Any time prior to, or within the first three (3) working days of your student employment, visit Human Resources with your original acceptable documents as outlined in the instructions.  Human Resources is located in the Jackson Avenue Center – Central.  Assistance is available Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm.

What is an I-9 and what documents do I need to bring?

A completed I-9 form, Employment Eligibility Verification from, is required for all employees. The purpose of the form is to verify that you are eligible to work in the United States.Visit Human Resources with your original acceptable documents as outlined in the instructions.   Reference the IRS site for more information.  A list of acceptable documents is available on page 4 of the Form included on the website.

Can I have a copy of my social security card, birth certificate or passport faxed to you?

We cannot accept copies or facsimiles. Only original documents will be accepted. The only exception is that you may present a certified copy of a birth certificate.

What if I don’t know my Selective Service number?

Please complete the online form. We will verify your registration through the Selective Service using the information that you provide – it is not necessary for us to have the number in order to complete this transaction.

Do I have to update my address directly with Student Employment or Payroll in Human Resources?

YES! The Payroll and Student Employment system is a separate computer system from the rest of student service, Bursar and Registrar systems. Even if you just updated your address on MyOleMiss, you still need to update your address with Student Employment through the “Employee” and “Self Service” system or by visiting the Student Employment department in Lester Hall. It is important that you keep your address up-to-date so that you will get your W-2 form at the end of the year.

What are the pay periods and when do I get paid?

Payroll is twice-monthly. Paydays are on the 15th and last day of each month.

Where do I get my paychecks?

Beginning July 1, 2009 paychecks for all faculty, staff, and student workers will have to be received via direct deposit unless a “Payroll Distribution” form is submitted.

How can I update my information?

Employee Self-Service allows employees, including active student employees, to go online to perform common tasks such as change of address or direct deposit information.

In the past, employees had to personally visit Human Resources to complete the necessary paper forms for making changes to contact information (address, phone) and bank account information for direct deposit. With the launch of the first Employee Self-Service application, University employees now have the ability to make changes to their information online form within the myOleMiss portal.

Student employees can use the Employee Self-Service application and Addresses & Communication Preferences to update their home address, office address, and emergency contact information. To access Employee Self-Service, Login to myOleMiss, Choose the “Employee” the sub-tab “Self-Service” and then select “Address/communication Preferences” from the “Detailed Navigation” menu located on the left.

For more information please contact the Student Employment staff  at 662-915-7431.