Form 7 – Stipends for Student Employment
- To employ students who work on a regular schedule and paid on a salaried basis – to pay salary only. A Form 7 will not be used to avoid an hourly time sheet. Minimum wage rules apply.
- Typically used for Graduate Assistants, Research Assistants, and Graduate Instructors.
- Graduate Instructor
- Teaching Assistant – Must be semester (or academic year) assignment.
- Research Assistant – Must be paid from Research account. (research accounts – 4th digits is a “2”)
Cost Distribution percentages must total 100% for each time interval.
Usually not the day the form is prepared; however, we see it quite often.
Education history is required only for new Graduate Instructors & the position requires a minimum 18 hours
Maximum Hours & Employment Percentages
Be aware of maximum hours allowed. Refer to the policy, Employment of Students.
Employment Percentages for Teaching:
1 – 3 credit hour course = 25%
2 – 3 credit hour courses = 50%
3 – 3 credit hour courses = 75%
4 – 3 credit hour courses = 100%
# of Hours Worked
If a form is for a partial semester, include a note if another form will be submitted for continued employment (for health insurance purposes)
Calculations for Partial Semesters or Monthly Assignments
Fund 20 and 30 accounts: The hiring department is responsible for providing either the monthly rate and dates OR the “Total Funds Required” and dates. A member of Human Resources will calculate other amount, either the monthly rate or “Total Funds Required.” Enter a single penny (.01) for the required field, if you are not providing both.
Fund 10 account: the hiring department is responsible for at least providing the total funds required. Enter a single penny (.01) for the required monthly amount field, if you are not providing both. When calculating, both “Total Funds Required” consider the following:
- The pay periods run 1st – 15th and 16th – 30/31st
- The work days include Monday – Friday including holidays
- Use the spreadsheet for assistance in calculating the total funds required for a specific period (not a flat semester rate): https://www.olemiss.edu/depts/hr/payroll/CALCULATIONS.xlsx
The spreadsheet may also be used to calculate the monthly amount, if needed. Select the appropriate tab at the bottom of the Excel spreadsheet.
- Form 7s for “undergraduates” do not require Graduate School approval.
- Form 7s that are funded by 25 or 30 accounts do not require the Budget Office’s approval
If funded from wages or another category, go ahead and prepare an E-Form 22 to move the funding to salaries. Reference the E-Form 22 sequence number on Form 7.
Over Payments & Mishaps
- It is the departments responsibility to manage the accounts. At least monthly, review and audit accounts
- 10 accounts are reviewed by the Budget Office
- Separations should be timely
- Delayed Forms may cause over payments. For example, students not returning in the Spring or employment ending before the Form 7 assignment ends.
Changes or Corrections
Changes must be processed on a Form 3 (unless “no service” and the student isn’t set up in SAP)