Leave of Absence
The University recognizes the need for paid time off to allow employees to achieve work/life balance. This program provides paid leave for personal, family, and medical-related absences.
Leave of Absence with Pay – To be used for employees who have accrued major medical, personal, or donated leave that will be used during their absence. Compensation will continue while leave is available for use. A timesheet must be processed each pay period to reflect the utilization of leave. Hours should be coded as follows:
1DAY – First day of illness*
SICK – Major medical leave
VACA – Personal leave
Twelve (12) month employees who accrue personal leave must use 8 hours of personal leave (prorated for part-time employees) prior to use of major medical leave. These hours are deemed first day illness and should be coded on the timesheet as 1DAY. First day illness may occur on a single day or cross multiple days.
Leave of Absence without Pay – To be used for employees without accrued major medical, personal, or donated leave.
Note: It is critical for a department to immediately process a Form 3 to place an exempt (salaried) employee on “Leave of Absence Without Pay” status if the employee has exhausted major medical, personal, or donated leave to prevent the employee from being overpaid.
Extended Leave of Absence – When an employee will be off work for several weeks or months, the department must process a Form 3 to place the employee on leave of absence. The start date is the first day the employee was absent from work. A separate Form 3 is required for, but not limited to, the following changes:
- Leave of absence start date
- Change of status to “leave of absence from with pay” to “without pay” when leave is exhausted
- Change of status to “leave of absence without pay” to “with pay” if donated leave is received
- If employee returns to work on an intermittent or reduced work schedule
- When the employee returns to work
For assistance, contact a member of the Benefits team, Department of Human Resources, 662-915-1518.
- Leave Guidelines
- Personal Leave for 12-Month Employees
- Major Medical Leave-12-Month Employees
- Major Medical Leave-9-Month Employees
- Family and Medical Leave Guidelines
- Leave Without Pay
- Donated Leave
- Personal Leave for 12-month employees
- Major Medical Leave
- Family and Medical Leave (FMLA)
- Donated Leave
- Policy Directory: https://policies.olemiss.edu/
- Benefit Forms page: http://hr.olemiss.edu/benefits/forms
- Staff Directory: https://hr.olemiss.edu/staff-directory/