Human Resources

University of Mississippi

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! News to benefit you!

Posted on: May 2nd, 2017 by

Rachel Coleman engages in intra-university work as a belly dancing instructor. Full time, Coleman is an academic adviser in the Center for Student Success and First-Year Experience.


Say goodbye to paper Form 17
The protocol for salaried staff to document approval for engaging in intra-university work has long been handled with paper Form 17. In an effort to reduce paper use and ease the burden on employees, the approval process will now be documented electronically as part of E-Form 40 (request for additional pay). Please note that prior authorization from your supervisor is still required before intra-university work may be performed.


How to request a working title
The official university title must be used for all correspondence, including business cards and email signatures. Official university titles can be found on the Compensation section of the Human Resources website:

Since many common position titles are used in various departments across campus, a working title may be needed to further define a position or delineate the specific area(s) of practice. To request a working title, the department representative should submit an E-Form 3 and in the Notes section indicate the requested working title. Approved working titles appear in the online staff directory and may be used for business cards and email signatures.


Are you completing a Student Exit Checklist?
Although the Student Exit Checklist is not required by policy, as a best practice, it is highly recommended that this checklist is completed and forwarded to HR once a student separates employment. The exit checklist can help serve as a reminder to complete appropriate forms and to collect items or property prior to the student’s departure. This form is located in the “Paper Forms” section on the HR website.